From:
Hans Kylberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 21:17:39 +0100
At 09:28 1997-11-18 -0800, Moira wrote:
8<
>So today I tried olive oil on my son's dried beef. Is that ok? I did not put
>it in hot or warmed even, should I warm the olive oil first?

Olive oil is my favourite. I mix it in just so the dry meat powder
is satured with oil. Then i put it in a small plastic box, and
compress witt a gable. I usually store it in the fridge for some
days, then eat it with a spoon or gable.
Dont heat the oil.

8<
>What other meats could I do pemmican with, maybe pork with olive oil?

Due to risc for trikines pork must be kept frozen for at least 20 days
before drying.

Instead of slicing meat peices I by ordinary ground beef (or moose)
with some 10 % fat. I just smear it out on the dehydrator trays
(mine are stainless stell mesh) leavig some openings for air to pass.
When dry I grind it as usual. The result is more grainy than fibrous
but does the same job.
There seems to be no problems with the fat. I use this method for
jerky as well, and store it at room temp for months without problem.
Before dehydrating I usually mix some seasoning into the ground meat
or even dried, ground celery stalks. As the resulting jerky still
contains the fat together with the meat, it is not nesessary to
make pemmican of it, but I still do sometimes.

With some fantasy you can make lots with a dehydrator...

- Hans