From:
Muriel Hykes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 1997 22:34:36 -0400
At 10:43 AM 7/30/97 -0400, John wrote:
>Right!  I'd often fall asleep about an hour after dinner (the biggest
>meal).  Can you tell me more about this?  Who is Selye?  I'm really
>interested.

        Aww, I thought if I delayed someone else would answer this.  Hans Selye
described the alarm, adaption and exhaustion phases in his 1956 book, the
Stress Of Life.  It was required in one of my psych courses.  Selye won the
prize for his description of the General Adaptation Syndrome.  (Unfortunate
acronym.)  You fell asleep after meals because you were into the exhaustion
phase of chronic stress.  At that point, the cholesterol levels are high,
heart is always ready for action, and immune system becomes depressed.  As
the clinical ecologist would say, your rain barrel ( of symptom
containment) was full.  The addition of more water, ie. wheat, caused the
symptoms to spill out.