From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 1997 11:14:57 -0400
On Thu, 7 Aug 1997, Calvin Burnes wrote:

> At 12:14 PM 8/6/97 -0400, you wrote:
> >Then what explains the substantial beneficial effects of olive
> >oil?
>
> i have no read the studies that indicate this is true, so i can't comment on
> this.
> perhaps someone else can.

From what I have read, olive oil appears to lower LDL without
lowering HDL.  Avocado oil is similar.  Here's one reference:
D.M. Colquhoun, Comparison of the effects on lipoproteins and
apolipoproteins of a diet high in monounsaturated fatty acids,
enriched with avocado and a high-carbohydrate diet.  American
Journal of Clinical Nutrition 1992; 56:671-77.  Of course the
high-carb diet is a wild card...

> this seems a bit high.  the problem with EFA supplementation is that it is a
> tricky business.  just as important as the quantity is the balance between
> the EFAs, namely omega 3 and omega 6.  getting too much omega 3 can deplete your
> omega 6, and vica verca.  i am also a believer in individuality, so i think
> our needs for omega 3 and omega 6 can differ greatly.  but 9 grams of fish oil
> a day seems a bit high.  Erasmus, in his book 'fats that heal, fats that kill'
> recommends 3-5 large fish oil capsules for those who have an omega 3 deficiency.
> i haven't confirmed this, but it seems the large fish oil capsules would be
> about
> 1 gram each.

Yes, this is a standard size, with each containing about 180 mg
of EPA.

> way to find out what really works for each of us.  do you notice any
> benefits from
> taking this much fish oil?  do you have any side affects from doing this?

Well, I'm trying to push my LDL cholesterol down, and it is
indeed going down.  But I'm doing other things, so the variables
aren't properly controlled.  I don't notice any side effects, but
I also don't know what the side effects of excessive fish oil
would be.  My plan is to cut back as the cholesterol approaches a
healthier level.

Todd Moody