NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 12:19:08 -0700
On Wed, 13 Aug 1997 08:09:05 -0700 Dan Twogood <[log in to unmask]>
writes:

>If you react to milk and ice cream, but not cheese, your reaction
>could be allergy to one of the protein factions of whey. Most milk
allergy
>is to casein, found in milk and cheese and all dairy foods and many non
>dairy foods. Patients who react to casein can usually tolerate whey.
But
>whey is present in all dairy foods, except cheese.

This may explain some of the things I've experienced.  I have a 5 month
old breastfed baby who is very reactive to dairy in my diet.  She spits
up/vomits, diarrhea, and has terrible eczema flare ups.  I've found that
I can eat some cheese (that fake yellow stuff on McDonald's
cheeseburgers) without much consequences.  I've also tried the tofu based
ones although they also have casein in them.  However, if I have
something with whey in it, she reacts almost immediately.  This is
usually hidden is some sort of bread product.

I know that babies sometimes out grow the milk allergy/sensitivity, but
does anyone know what the statistics on that is?

Kathy P