NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 23:46:36 -0700
I also use Rice Dream, especially chocolate for milky snack cravings. My 2 yr
old though will not touch it.  It also does not have the protein of milk or
soy or nut substitutes (which we can't have either).

If you can have soy, most health food stores have a wide array of soy every-
thing - from icecream on.  There has been a bit of work lately on the Rice
type experimental foods it seems but their texture etc. is usually strange.

The way I solve this (with 2 yr old) is we don't do milk/cookie type snacking.
We do grapes and fruit rolls and meat and rice cakes and Rice Chex and straw-
berries type snacks depending on hunger/texture desired.  Since he's never
had the typical toddler snack, he doesn't have our adult problems of nostalgia
or deprivation if we can't have what we remember.  My son can't have any grains
either or egg, but he still snacks quite happily w/o bread and crackers and gold-
fish and the like (for now anyway).

Good luck in your snack search.
Susan.