NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Steve Carper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 20:50:15 -0500
>I am wondering if there is comphrensive list somewhere on the net which
includes all the processed foods which contain lactose?<

At my web site, I get asked questions like this all the time. The answer is
simple: there is no such list and there will never be any such list. The
why is fairly simple and yet very complex.

First, there are just far too many foods in the world. A large supermarket
will have literally tens of thousands of individual food items and yet this
just scratches the surface of what is available out there. The food
business has a few huge multinationals, from whom you can sometimes get
some information, and many, many regional and local companies in it. Going
to each for information would be a monumental task. Getting the information
up-to-date and accurate even for the length of time it takes to put the
list together would be equally impossible. More thousands of new foods are
put onto (and taken off of) the market every year.

And yet this job would be easy compared to the one I am more often asked to
do: compile a list of _how much_ lactose there is in each food. Fact is
that the government does not require lactose to be listed on a food label.
(Actually, since lactose is not on the official list, it is against the law
to add it to the nutritional information section of a label. The most a
manufacturer can do is say that a food contains no lactose, but not how
much it actually has.) Because the government doesn't require it, I would
doubt if many manufacturers even know how much lactose is in any food: food
testing is expensive.

From time to time smaller lists of lactose-free foods have been put
together. Many lactose-free cookbooks contain them. You can go to
Amazon.com and see if they can find you a copy of  _Lactose free foods : a
shopper's guide : a carry-along guide and resource for lactose-intolerant
consumers_ although even that is out of date.

But I have never come across any substitute for walking the aisles of your
supermarket (or grocery store or health food store) and _reading the
ingredients labels yourself_. That is the best way to learn what it in the
foods you eat.

As for calcium pills, although people have made claims for and against
different types of calcium, as far as I can tell, their effect is entirely
individual. But see if you can find some of the less common types (calcium
citrate, calcium lactate, calcium gluconate, etc.) and give those a try.

Steve Carper
author of Milk Is Not for Every Body: Living with Lactose Intolerance
Web Site: Steve Carper's Lactose Intolerance Clearinghouse
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/stevecarper