NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 1997 16:11:28 -0700
On Sat, 30 Aug 1997 20:49:59 +0000 Susanna Eve <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
<snip>
> I really believe that a baby will be better off if a mother
>breastfeeds.   It is likely that a baby that was not breastfed at all
>would have worse allergies.  I have had lots of struggles over the
>last 8 months
>with my daughter reacting to foods in my diet and throwing up, being
>really gassy and fussy and not sleeping etc.  However, she is very
>healthy and alert and is a good weight and size and if I watch my
>diet she can sleep a really long stretch at night.

I also have a "big strappin' girl" who has moved from the 50th percentile
to the 75th despite all the food allergy problems we've had.

I just wanted to add some information from a conversation I just had with
my allergist on this subject.  I was wondering if we'd be better off
switching to formula and avoiding the whole allergens in my diet thing.
His comments were that she's probably gotten most of the immunological
benefits and allergy protection that she's going to get (almost 6 months
old and has started solids).  At this point it's mostly a social and
bonding thing.  I could try some soy formula to see if she could tolerate
it.  BUT, as long as we're both happy nursing AND the reactions are only
occasional, I should keep nursing my baby.  When I asked what occasional
meant, I was very surprised that he responded with "once or twice a
week".  He said that it sounded like what we were doing was fine and that
only time will tell.  Try to keep things under control as much as
possible, but don't panic over minor problems.  He did recommend not
introducing wheat till 9 mo, diary till 12 mo, eggs till 18 mo, and
peanuts/tree nuts/seafood/fish till 24 mo.  He recommended "trying" the
baby with dairy at 12 months since it is almost 7 months a way.  I was
totally shocked!  Not having her drink milk, but maybe a little yoghurt
to see how she responds.  IF we start having problems, we should of
course back off on things and see an allergist with her.  By problems, he
meant anything that would interfere with her normal baby life and
development, or our enjoyment of her.  My allergist knows my pediatrician
and knows that she's weak in the area of allergies.  Of course, next time
we'll know to do a stricter elimination of my diet right from the start
:-)

I've gotten a lot of information in this list and from other sources
about food allergies and dairy in particular.  A lot of it is vague and
some even contradictory.  Some I've even found terrifying that THAT'S
going to happen to us.  It's very hard to sort things and figure out what
is the best thing to do.  One friend of mine with one milk allergic child
is now breastfeeding her second.  Her pediatrician (who is also an
allergist) was not even as restrictive as my allergist was suggesting.  A
mom from my playgroup had never even been told by her doctor(s) that her
daughter's pretty severe eczema was probably from food allergies and has
not even had it suggested that she eliminate dairy or anything else.

My take on all of this is that you are playing the odds.  Everything
seems to be based on statistics and probabilities.  There are no
guarantees.  Breastfeeding will not cure the world's ills.  It will not
eliminate allergies, but may serve to lessen them in the current
generation - the genetic predisposition lives on.  It has to be a family
decision on how to feed a baby.  Some people can't deal with such a
restrictive diet and would be miserable and resentful of the baby for
having to keep it.  Or perhaps, shoulder unnecessary guilt and blame when
problems do occur.  The whole decision has to be based not only on what's
best for the baby (nutritionally, immunologically, emotionally, etc), but
also what's best for the quality of life of the mother and other family
members.