NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Susan Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 19 Aug 1997 10:45:00 -0700
Having one very allergic 2 year old (milk, grains, nuts, soy, etc.) and a
new baby about to be born, I thought I would ask my one brain-teaser that
to date, I can find no medical advice OR writings about.

I myself am quite allergic to milk, beef and soy.  When I was pregnant with
my first, I found myself feeling obligated to 'try' milk (which I had re-
luctantly given up), and I found I THOUGHT it was digesting fine--ie.
no swollen lips/tongue, no diarrhea, little/no gas pains, etc.  I also ate
a lot of peanut butter (which was unusual for me) because I had been given a
high-protein diet to follow after being diagnosed as gestationally diabetic.
Eggs, too, I ate more of than normal.

Anyway, my son's worst allergies (possibly anaphylactic level) turned out to
be dairy, nuts and eggs.  MY question was-- does eating these foods WHILE
PREGNANT not just while nursing, have any effect on the baby's developing
system?  Do the proteins and any possible immune reaction I am having to
them pass through the placenta?

This pregnancy, I am trying to eat zero dairy, very few nuts and eggs, and
happily am not diabetic this time.

Has anyone ever heard of a connection like this?

Susan