CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bill Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jun 1999 10:22:33 +1000
Martin William Smith wrote:

>You keep condemning the present system.  It's easy to do that.  I
>agree with you.  The present system sucks.  Location: Anarchist
>society.  Situation: A guy commits murder, a crime of passion.  He is
>arrested, charged with the crime, and convicted.  What does the
>anarchist society do with him?  Conditions: Forget punishment (he
>admitted he did wrong). Forget rehibilitation (passion is not a
>disease).  What is the decision; how is it arrived at, and who
>enforces it?

I suggest at some stage forgiveness would be appropriate. It all depends
what you hope to achieve.

But I don't really understand your and Alister's point. You admit that the
"present system sucks", that is it doesn't achieve anything except futile
revenge. Surely you don't expect people to all become saints under any
economic system. I can't prescribe what people will do every time one of
their neighbours or relatives or whatever commits a grossly anti-social
act. I guess it will depend on the circumstances. Maybe they'll get angry
and beat the shit out of him, maybe they'll shun him, maybe they'll
organise a 24 hour vigil to watch his every move until his hormones have
petered out. Maybe they'll kill him and feed his flesh to the crows. Maybe
they'll demand a public apology then forgive him.

What would *you* want done if a friend or neighbour committed such an offense?

Whatever they do, it can't be any worse than what we have now, but if you
want a perfect solution then I can't offer one. Can you?

The desired outcome is to minimise violence though. If you are one of those
that has a dark view of human nature you will fear any relaxation of
coercive social control. If you take the opposite view, like me, then you
will be optimistic that anti-social behaviour will be lower if people are
more economically secure and able to pursue a more satisfying life.

In such conditions life and liberty are held in greater respect by
everyone, or at least that's what human history tends to indicate.

But of course its just my theory. As Chomsky says, human nature is pretty
much a mystery to science. What do you think?

Bill Bartlett
Bracknell Tas.