CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Korber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 21:41:12 EDT
In a message dated 6/9/99 8:23:08 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>1. To serve as a forum for the free expression of political ideas.

Overwhelmngly...

>2. The scholarly discussions of linguistics.

One could hope for more of this.

>3. To be a resource to its members, by continually identifying the
>   thousands of resources, materials, organizations and Internet sites
>   revolving around the work, philosophy, political ideas of Noam Chomsky.

This is true, but mainly his political ideas. I remember one request for info
on Chomsky's current thinking in linguistics. Martin also had brought up a
topic related to second language acquisition.

>4. A clearinghouse for the distribution of information on academic and
>   political conferences, publication opportunities, fellowship information,
>   academic grants, and job openings of interest.

Never saw it.

>Subscribers are encouraged to post questions, comments, or announcements
>of interest to individuals working on topics related to Chomsky's writings
>and lectures.  The Chomsky list is without restriction according to
>interest or professional affiliation.
>
>The CHOMSKY discussion list is not devoted to any particular niche within
>the scope of Chomsky's oeuvre, but instead welcomes contributions on any
>aspect of the full range of Chomsky's contribution to contemporary
>political stance and linguistic scholarship.

And so it goes.... I liked the description when I joined. I like it now.