From:
"Terry L. Bradley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 15:41:04 -0500

Children's Hospital of Columbus, Ohio, is proud to sponsor the 9th Annual
Celiac Program for Children and Adults, on Saturday, December 6, 1997, at
the Children's Hospital Education Center.  The Columbus support group,
The Gluten Free Gang, is non-profit, as is the conference.

Our special guest speaker this year is Dr. Joseph Murray, one of the most
widely acclaimed experts on Celiac Disease both here and abroad.  Dr.
Murray's topic will be "The Widening Spectrum of Celiac Disease."

Other speakers and topics for the adults will include:
The Celiac Diet - The Newest Do's and Don'ts - Mary Kay Sharrett, MS,RD,LD
Workshop Session I (choose one to attend):
     Interacting on the Internet - Linda DeMuro, MLS
     Gluten Free Asian Foods - Teri Li, BA
Workshop Session II (choose one to attend):
     The Mind-Body-Spirit Connection - R. Charles Dumont, MD
     Manual Breadmaking - Sandra Leonard
Panel Presentation and Q&A - Dr. Murray, Dr. B. Li, Steve Plogsted,
PharmD, and Mary Kay Sharrett, MS,RD,LD

This year we have added a "teen track" to our programming, to include Dr.
Murray's talk, an Internet workshop, exploration stations to learn more
about CD, and a talk on "From Parties to Overnights...Fitting in with
Celiac." Younger children (ages 7-10) will enjoy a puppetry show, a
cooking class, and an Internet workshop specially geared to this age group.
For children under 7, activities are planned throughout the morning (we are
sorry we are unable to provide supervision for children under age 2).

As in the past, various vendors and supporters have provided samples, and
many will be displaying products at the workshop.  Try some new products,
or stock up for the holidays!

Last, but not least, the education sessions will close with our
traditional potluck lunch.  GF turkey and baked potato will be provided
by Children's Hospital; we ask that you bring a cold side dish or dessert
to share.  Please bring enough for about 8 people, and send your
recipe/ingredient list with your registration, so we can (1) provide
complete information for those with multiple food concerns; and (2) compile
all the recipes to be included in the conference packet.  The potluck is a
great time to meet other celiacs and share ideas and strategies (and eat
well, too).

Registration should be mailed by November 21, if possible. The conference fee
($15 for adults 15 and over; free for those 14 and younger) covers your
materials (large conference packet), refreshments and lunch.  For the adults,
please indicate which sub-sessions you would like to attend; and please
indicate ages for all kids attending. If your child has medical needs
other than the gluten-free diet, please let us know that, too.

Registration checks should be made payable to Children's Hospital, and sent
to:

Community Education
Children's Hospital
700 Children's Drive
Columbus, OH  43205-2696

You can also call (614) 722-4949 with any questions, or e-mail me
privately for more information (but all registrations should be sent
directly to Children's Hospital).