From:
"Terry L. Bradley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 11:47:44 -0500

On Friday night, about 8:00 p.m., I called the Butterball Turkey
Talk-Line (1-800-323-4848).  After a false start with the person who
initially answered, I was connected with Mary Lou -- who has celiac!

Mary Lou was able to tell me that _all_ the turkeys (including the smoked
turkey breast) are gluten free; she has talked pretty extensively with
the "guys in the lab" about this issue.  This information covers both
frozen and fresh, and prebasted.  She said that if you really want to be
ultra-sure, buy the fresh unbasted turkey.  Not that the "taste test" is
absolute, but she has tried all the variations herself with no problem.

ONE CAVEAT:  For those with soy sensitivity, the basting solution
contains soybean oil.

It was nice to find someone intimately concerned with our "issues"; I was
able to tell her a bit about this wonderful listserv, so hopefully she
may be signing on, soon.

Hope this helps us as we gear up for the holidays! :-)

Terry Bradley
Columbus, OH