From:
goalieootttaA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 1997 22:19:20 -0700

Apologies for mixing topics, but I think they are somewhat related!

I know ascites is generally abdominal and certainly can relate to the
heart but I have noticed that if I ingest gluten by accident I swell up
all over the place. It's gone within a day or two. I asked my DR if gluten
is like a toxin to celiacs and this is the body's way of dealing with
essentially being poisioned and he agreed. I swell in the abdomen, limbs
and especially the face for 24 hours after getting gluten. Does anyone
else notice these kinds of symptoms?  I may be wrong but I understand
ascites to be an unusually large collection of water in any part of the
body-please correct me if I am wrong-it may help the poster who asked
about this to get a proper definition.

BTW, a summary of my mayonaise and mustard question a few weeks ago. I was
wondering why mayo makes me so sick. Folks wrote back and said anything
from eggs, to artificial preservatives, canola oil, and spices in the
ingredients would be possible problems. Don was nice enough to send me a
fairly long summary of possibles. If anyone wants to see it I will be
happy to pass it along with Don's permission.  I didn't get much back on
the mustard inquiry. I believe some recipes for mayo were posted after I
asked about this and thanks kindly for those! The eggs possibility was
interesting as I can eat an omellete with no symptoms but it's possible
that it is an allergen (it is in my niece) and that it is causing
different reactions that are celiac in origin but which I am not used to
recognizing. Anyway, thanks to all who posted back-it seems to be a hot
topic for many of us.

I would be interested to see what sort of reactions
people have had to gluten apart from the well-known ones. If you feel
comfortable posting them to the group that would be useful as my summaries
by necessity lack details but I will collect and pass on as much
information as I can if people would rather send private posts.

Lissy