From:
"Kristen S. White" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 1997 13:03:29 -0700

Hello everyone!  I would like to respond to everyone, but there were so
many, so I'm listing my responses to the list.

Regarding canola oil...it is made in Canada from rapeseed, which is from
the mustard / turnip family.  Another post said that the CSA/USA
reported that canola oil is often a problem for celiacs, but they do not
know why.  Some say that it may be related to the 'systemic' insecticides
on the plant, which spreads throughout the plant rather than lying on the
surface.  Many of you have indicated some sort of celiac reaction when
using canola oil, and therefore, stay away from it, which I believe may
be my husbands problem, since he is sensitive to many different things.
I don't seem to have found the real problem with using canola oil, and
why we get reactions from it, but it's good to know that my husband is
not the only one.  We will be staying away from it from now on.

Regarding olive oil...seems as though olive oil is OK.  Many of you who
stay away from canola oil, use olive oil instead and are OK with it.  The
oil is pressed directly from the olives, with no processing involved.

Thank you all for your posts!  This list is great!
---
Kristen White