From:
"Jackson, Gary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 13:41:00 PDT
>What is of interest to me is the avid nature of their adopting cereal
>grains. Some would point to the insulin highs, and suggest that the
>manipulations of blood sugar were at the root of the Eskimo's enthusiasm
>about the European diet. Perhaps.

>But what if their avid interest is due to a psychoactive potential in these
>foods?

As I understand it, the blood sugars and corresponding insulin levels
directly impact the serotinin levels which directly effect the mood. (Prozac
works because of its effect on serotinin). I am not aware of any other
psychoactive substances, but depressed people are sure known to attack the
carbs in eating binges and thereby start a cycle.
I will look for the references if needed

Gary