From:
Xenu's Sister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 May 1997 08:44:53 -0500
At 04:00 PM 5/14/97 -0400, Todd wrote:

>It may or may not be relevant that there is a great deal of
>folklore about the use of cider vinegar as a remedy for all sorts
>of things, such as arthritis, hypertension, constipation, and who
>knows what else.

Maybe so. My paternal grandfather died at 106, and he always
said the 3 things he ate every single day of his life were garlic,
honey and vinegar (not together!). He never had a major illness
(neither did my paternal grandmother, who died at 98) and he
smoked cigarettes until he was 104 (he didn't quit by choice
either. He was put into a nursing home after breaking his
hip, and they wouldn't let him smoke.) I don't think he ever
exersized* in his life (he owned a very small farm in Iowa,
but retired to Florida in his 60s) and he was always very
skinny. So I don't know if the garlic, the vinegar or the
honey was more responsible for his longevity, or just
the fact that he was a very happy person (and a great
pool player too! He'd love to go into bars and act like
a doddering senile fart and challenge young dudes to a
game. They'd think they'd have themselves a pushover,
and were rudely surprised by a 70/80/90+ year old beating the
pants off them. I saw him do it many times...very funny! Oh and,
he *always* used to let me beat him when we played.)

I wish I'd known to ask him about his other eating habits
before he died. I think he'd heartily approve of a Paleo diet.

*I mean the "Ok, I am going to exersize now...one two one two"
specific type. He was never exactly a couch potato, but he didn't
do anything *special*.

Vickie (who can't quite give up vinegar totally either, yet)