From:
Dean Esmay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 1997 17:30:00 -0400
Do you suppose we'll ever stop this bickering and such here and get to the
business of supporting everyday dieters in their efforts?  Or will we just
keep arguing?

I used The Zone once and was so hungry I thought I'd knaw my own arm off.
I can't imagine ever eating a diet so very low in protein.  On the other
hand I know people who love it, do just great on it.  Bully for them.  Let
them do it.  They aren't fools if they lose weight, feel great, and enjoy
what they're doing.  Neither for that matter are the people eating the
Ornish diet, which is about as unnatural as it gets but which appears to
suit some individuals just fine.

I'm long past the point of believing that there is a universal dietary
formula that works equally well on everybody. Some foods are clearly more
dangerous than others.  Some foods may be implicated in causing all sorts
of diseases for some people, but others may be completely immune to them.
Quite possibly, evolutionary adaptations have made the ancestral diet of
some people unhealthy for them today.

Evolution gave us the Ethiopian, the Englishman, and the Aborigine.  Did it
really give us ONE diet for all of them?