From:
Gary Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 1997 09:58:49 +0000
Staffan,

Your diet obviously works well for you. One thing bothers me. I know
that some people with diabetes have had uncontrolled blood sugars eating
relatively small amounts of fruit on this diet. If diabetes is the end
result of a carbohydrate metabolism disorder that begins with
hyper/hypoglycemia, then fruits would have a potential to exacerbate the
condition and may lead to diabetes over, possibly, a longer time period.

I have just finished reading Richard K Bernsteins new book. He is a type
I diabetic who is in his 60's with virtually no diabetic complications.
He says the only complications he has are those he got befoore  He
claims he should have been dead 45 years ago if he had not kept very
tight control over his blood sugar. He does this by eating VERY few
carbs and no fruit. While his case is an extreme example, is this
condition not just a matter of degree. I would rather err on the side of
tight glucose control. He has shown that there are no nutritional
problems eating 30g of carbs and high quantities of fat over extended
periods. He includes cheeses in this diet. He has a practise with
hundreds of patients on a similar program.