From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 May 1997 23:02:47 -0400
I just returned from a few days' road trip up to Rhode Island to
visit family.  I was mostly successful in staying paleo during
the trip.

First, I brought the crumbly pemmican that I made last Thursday.
I also brought several containers of raw nuts: walnuts, pecans,
and almonds.  And a container of apricots.  When I made the
pemmican, I filled the cupcake holders only halfway, so each
"cake" was about the size of a typical brownie, or a thick
cookie.  I have to say that I like the taste of the pemmican,
greasy as it is.  I also have to say that the stuff does work as
advertised.  I had one of these little crumbly cakes for
breakfast and desired little more to eat until lunch time, during
the drive from Philly to R.I.  I picked at some nuts while
driving, but that's about it.

At lunch I had another pemmican chunk and, again, didn't feel the
desire to eat much else, other than a few apricots and nuts.  At
dinner I had steak and salad at a roadside restaurant.

We stayed at a motel, and I decided to branch out, so I went
foraging at a supermarket.  I settled on a hard Italian salami,
picking one that didn't have any soy protein filler.  All had
some amount of dextrose and preservatives, but I decided that
this would be more acceptable than the "meat extender".  I also
ate a "grilled chicken salad" with greens and a sliced boiled
egg.

I only defected once, at the home of some in-laws who had
prepared a dinner of spaghetti and meatballs.  I didn't want to
offend, so I ate a small portion of spaghetti, a couple of
meatballs, and lots of salad.  My stomach did not handle the meal
well, I might add.  I was uncomfortable for at least six hours.

On the road back, it was more pemmican, nuts, and grapes.  I'll
weigh in tomorrow and see if I gained or lost any pounds on the
trip.  With the pemmican, salami, and steaks, not to mention all
the nuts, I felt that I was eating quite a lot, so who knows....

Todd Moody