From:
Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 1997 09:31:57 -0700
Dear Paleolist,

My offer of pemmican was for Moria's son only!  If she sends me her
postal address I will send her some to try.

I make pemmican weekly.  I use a dehydrator that cost $5 (garage sale).
You can buy a new one at Walmart for $20 (on sale last Sat.).

Long befor the meat is completly dry, it is sterile!  Sterilizations
charts (found in some cookbooks or food service manuals) will confirm
this. Over-drying will "cook" the meat, making your pemmican grity.

If you don't have a deli slicer (mine cost $15 at a garage sale), get the
butcher to use his. It's very difficult to slice meat thin enough
(1/8 inch) otherwise.

Tallow is beef fat (aka suet) that has been melted and had all water
removed by heating over a low heat.  It looks like white candle wax and
will keep forever without going rancid.  Pork fat (lard) will not work
for this purpose because it never gets hard enough.

Add the warm (not hot)liquid tallow to the dried beef slowly, mixing it
in as you do so.  When all the meat powder is just saturated, you're
done.

I would love to make pemmican for the multitudes who ask for it, but must
concentrate on selling books!  Spin-off products,licencing agreements and
late night infomercials are still several thousand books away.

Ray Audette
Author "NeanderThin:A Caveman's Guide to Nutrition"
http://www.sofdesign.com/neander