From:
Muriel Hykes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 17:46:45 -0400
>rate at which it is used or eliminated.  If for some reason these
>two rates are out of balance, the stuff accumulates in the blood,
>where it is susceptible to oxidation and accumulation on damaged
>arteries.  Use of antioxidants should reduce the oxidation risk,
>especially those antioxidants, such as curcumin, that are
>specifically effective at inhibiting lipid peroxidation.
>Prevention of arterial damage requires a favorable balance of
>series 1 and series 2 eicosanoids, which is expedited by keeping
>insulin levels down and having adequate production of GLA.  An
>adequate supply of methyl donors such as B-12 and folic acid also
>lowers levels of homocysteine, which is believed to be implicated
>in arterial damage.

        Very nice Todd.  I am impressed considering this is all self-taught.  You
were a philosophy or religion major weren't you?  FWIW, high homocysteine
also occurs in women whose children have spina bifida.  What is even worse,
is that folic acid supplements don't always reduce the homocysteine levels
in some families.