From:
Mara Riley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 17:36:29 -0400
On Wed, 27 Aug 1997, Paul Wheaton wrote:
> So, in order for me to lose weight on Neanderthin, I have to cut all
> nitrates.  Correct?
>
> This bacon says it has sugar, and then it says it has no carbs per
> serving.  So it must be a tiny amount of sugar.
>
> If I eat the tiny spec of sugar in this bacon, I will not lose weight on
> Neanderthin.  Correct?

Paul,
I'm on a combination of a couple of different low-carb diets: Dr. Atkins'
diet, and Protein Power.  I eat cured bacon that I buy from my local
butcher shop; it probably has nitrites and a little sugar in it.  I've
been eating it anyway, and losing weight regardless.  (I've lost 50+ lbs
over 2 years.)  I'm on the Paleodiet list because it's got better
scientific information for low-carb dieters than the other low-carb list I
was on.  I do NOT follow Neanderthin religiously, though I do have the
book.

Nitrites _can_ be a problem in weight loss with some people.  Miniscule
amounts of sugar _can_ be a problem in weight loss with some people.  Your
mileage may vary.  They haven't made a difference to me; maybe if I
weren't consuming them, I'dve lost weight a teensy bit faster.

Not a cut-and-dried answer, I'm afraid.  But this is my experience on the
subject.  The best I can give you by way of an answer is to say, 'Eat the
bacon!  Then if you don't lose weight, cut it out.'

Corbie