From:
Toby Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 01:20:55 -0700
My copy of NeanderThin came in the mail several days ago.
It was fascinating to read after spending several weeks
on this list. I wonder, though, why more argument for
the diet was not provided in the form of recent
research in nutrition. For example, little or no
mention is made of the disadvantages of grains
due to their high phytic acid content, their poor
carb-to-micronutrient ratio, their generally high
glycemic indexes, etc.

I know that you guys are familiar with these and
other factors, so why did you opt for the
minimalist approach?

I think a great book would be an amalgam of the
Paleolithic Prescription and NeanderThin. Just
chop off the last half of PP, in which they
basically go "ok, now that we know how stone
age hunter-gatherers ate, you can see that the
USDA food pyramind needs only minor adjusting".
Then tack on NeanderThin, including the great
tips on following the diet.

Thanks,
Toby
p.s. someone else mentioned the spear
on the cover. It IS a bit much, though not
as bad as those new 700 mL Pepsi bottles,
which look like someone took a prop off the
set of a porno film and slapped a label on it.