From:
"John C. Pavao" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 08:00:18 -0400
The key to this is the short term of the study.  While I was subscribed to
the low-carb support list, there was plenty of anecdotal evidence that the
cholesterol goes up at first, then goes down and usually improves
significantly over the original numbers.  Which reminds me, I need to go
get a checkup!

John Pavao

There's a nice study by Phinney et al (80) Metabolism 32(8):757-7680 "The
Human Metabolic Response to Chronic Ketosis Without Caloric Restriction:
Physical and Biochemical Adaptation" showing that a ketogenic diet
*elevates* total cholesterol while leaving HDL unchanged. The study
involved 9 lean men who were switched from a calorically adequate high carb
diet containing 1.75 g/kg bodywt P, 67% C, 33% F to a calorically
comparable ketogenic diet containing <20g/d C, identical P, and 83-85% F.
Over a four week period, average cholesterol rose from 159 to 208. HDL was
unchanged at 40. Weights were essentially unchanged.