From:
Paul Getty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 1997 22:43:44 -0400
 We have discussed a very great deal of evidence over the last
>few months on these points, both here and on the Paleodiet Symposium.  The
>evidence on these issues is not minor, crazy, or hysterical.  I suggest you
>do some reading and talk to people before lecturing them on these issues.

The vegetarian craziness of the last two decades came about because people
who were convinced their ideas were correct only listened to others who
shared their beliefs.  Back then one could read alot about diets and low
fat and the horrors of red meat.  No one would bring up the success that
Dr. Adkins was having with low carb diets.  I'm sorry that you don't like
me bringing up my thoughts without having been with you for all of these
months and without having gotten into the same stream of thought, but there
is a lot of conclusions being made on this mailing list without a lot of
input from people who feel differently.  Now I see why.

Who can really say that man ate no grains.  Certainly there were some that
ate grains, because some early men ate them, and then planted the better
ones and then little by little we had corn and wheat.  The only reason that
the earliest man was interested in planting the ancestors of wheat and corn
was that he was already eating the wild variety.    I agree that he did not
fill his caloric needs with grains, but I think the idea that he ate
virtually no grains could be wrong.  And to be horrified at eating a small
amount of wheat or corn is the kind of thing that comes about when too many
people who feel the same all get excited and end up extremists.  Some other
ideas and even lecturing should be refreshing.
Paul Getty
Morehead City, NC