NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 1997 17:27:12 GMT
Aradhana Mehta <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Subject: Buying lactase tablets in UK
>
> Hello,
>
> I need some information about buying lactase enzyme
tablets in the UK. I
> would be grateful if somebody could answer the following
questions:

> i)  Does one need a prescription to buy lactase tablets
in the UK?
>     Can one buy them in general supermarkets?
>
> ii) What are the brandnames commonly used?
>
> iii) How much does a bottle of tablets of a given brand
cost, how many
> tablets does it contain?
>
> Here in Norway these tablets are very expensive, they
cost about US $ 30
> per bottle of 100 tablets. Also, they can be bought only
in pharmacies,
> with a prescription. We are  considering trying to buy
them in UK.

The reason why such things as supplements, vitamins, and
herbal remedies are
either not available or are hugely expensive in Norway and
Germany compared to the prices in most other developed
nations (i.e. where you would expect to them to be dearest)
is that Norway and Germany are the only countries in the
world who have implemented the UN/WHO Codex Alimentarious.

If the rest of the world signs up for the Codex it will be
impossible to get
any vitamins etc in anything other than the lowest levels
of potency without
a prescription and paying up to ten times the price for
effectively the same
substance. Up to now both the US and UK governments have
resisted worldwide
implementation of the Codex. Many others appear to be
lamely giving in. It's
easy to see who will benefit most from this in financial
terms. The prime
movers for implementation appear to be the big German/Swiss
pharmaceutical
companies.

Point your web search engine to "Codex Alimentarious" and
read some more
detailed (and trenchant!) criticism of what would appear to
be in many cases an unwarranted imposition upon the
consumer.

So Aradhana, when you come the UK you could do us all a
favour if you would
take notes of comparisons of prices between those in the UK
and those in
Norway, and then perhaps post to all as a warning.

Good shopping!

Drew