NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jon Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 1997 19:24:45 -0400
On Sun, 1 Jun 1997, Paula Clark wrote:

> << Ben and
>  > Jerrys Devils Food Chocolate Sorbet? >>
>
> Just checked this out, the label has a "D"on it.  Either it contains dairy or
> run on dairy lines.  Just a note of caution here, for those of us who even a
> tiny amount of dairy is life theatening.

I noticed and was thinking about this today too.  Does anyone know what
the requirements are in ingredient labels?  i.e. if the Ud label means
there is dairy in it, why isn't there any in the ingredients list?  If it
means they produce it on machines that also do ice cream or yogurt, how
well (if at all) are they required to clean the machinery?  If it means
they have a machine that does dairy too close to the one that does sorbet,
is the Ud just a religious technicality, or is it possible to get splashes
from the ice cream line into the sorbet line?

I gave up ice cream more than 10 years ago.  I've mostly given up Tofutti
because it's so high in fat.  I really don't want to give up sorbet
too...or have ice cream / sorbet fall into that category of foods I can
only have if we make it ourself at home.

I just found Edys is online...and this brings up another question.  In the
ingredient list at
http://www.edys.com/cgi-bin/scoopit.cgi?page=sorbet/cherry_cordial.html

"natural flavor" is listed...what does this include?  Can I go to a food
wholesaler and buy a few pounds of "natural flavor".  Is it possible this
is a source of dairy?

 Jon Lewis <[log in to unmask]>  |  Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
 Network Administrator       |  be proof-read for $199/message.
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |
________Finger [log in to unmask] for PGP public key_______