NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Paula Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 1997 09:12:00 -0400

<< Paula,
 We have been gluten-free for 2 years, and are now looking at giving up eggs
 and dairy as well.  How do you get the food to stick together?  Do you have
 favorite egg substitute?  a favorite cookbook?

My case is a little different because my son is allergic to foods (hives,
throat closing, ezcema) and we can eat gluten.  We cook with oats and barley,
which are probably grains you avoid. However, getting food to stick together
is a challenge for us too, since my son is also allergic to eggs. EnerG Foods
makes an egg subsitutue, which we use, as well as mixing 1 TBSP water/1 1/2
TBSP Oil and 1 tsp baking powder.  Others use flax seed and others will
disolve gelatin in 2 TBSP of warm water.

Cookbooks we like (although they might be limited use for gluten)  The Milk
Free Kitchen by Beth Kidder (the pancakes are great, we just subsitutue
different flours)   ,  The Complete Food Allergy Cookbook by Marilyn
Gioannini explains different flours and has easy to follow recipes and the
new cookbook is My Kid's Allergic to Everything Dessert Cookboook by Mary
Harris and Wilma Nachsin lays out which flours bind easier together and easy
to follow recipes. If you use spelt or kamut flours, (which we avoid because
he still is allergic to them) the recipes use those grains.

Finally, its worth mentioning this site again.  Eileen Kupstras has a
wonderful resource listing of cookbooks at her site:
 http://www.cs.unc.edu/~kupstas/FAQ_reviews.html

The Food Allergy Network has a cookbook http://foodallergy.org/

Another site for celiac archieves with tons of recipes and even bread machine
recipes is at : http://www.fastlane.net/homepages/thodge/archive.htm

Good Luck!!  Paula