NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Paula Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 09:38:33 -0400

<< Can anyone recommend any of the non-dairy cheeses?  Gosh, I hate to just
 > pick one and try it; they are so damn expensive!  I could buy prime filet
 > mignon for the same price! >>

We avoid all dairy free cheese, because in Wisconsin the immitation cheese
has casein & caseinates in the products.   I found one, but called company
and they said it was produced on the same lines as the cow dairy products.
 Granted, my children have life threatening allergies so we are very careful.

One option that is cheaper than prime filet mignon -  Toufutti non-dairy
cream cheese and sour cream, both currently marked parve (Toufutti Brand,
Inc. is located in Cranford. NJ) .  Great on bagels, added to soup or sauce
to give a cream texture.  And the price is reasonable.   I also joined a food
buying club after finding out most health food stores mark up prices about
40-60%.  Last time I bought Rice Dream for $1.65 a carton, verses $2.50 in
stores.

Tofu sliced on pizza is also a hit in our household.