CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ian Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jan 1998 23:20:56 -0600

Dear fellow listmember moms and dads,

Here we go again.  My 8 yo daughter was diagnosed in July of last year with
DH and CD (no biopsy but blood tests were high for gluten and she had a
rash).  Since then we have attempted three times to go on a GF diet.  Each
time, I try to be as careful as possible about checking with companies and
getting everything in writing, making sure there is no cross contamination,
and using separate everything in the kitchen.  She was doing very well and
had improved so much even her teachers noticed.  Since the beginning of
December, she has been exhibiting some symptoms again, mostly behavioral
and dark circles under her eyes, as well as sore throat and swollen glands
in her neck (she doesn't get the classic symptoms and doesn't exhibit any
symptoms immediately so it's hard to know what the offending food is).  It
started when I believed the people at McDonalds about their alleged GF
food.  I have also been rather trusting of the CSA/USA GF food guide.  I
have not called every company of every food in the guide and should have.
I guess what I am trying to get at in my ramblings is how can I trust what
these manufacturers say and has anyone ever experienced this with their
children?  It is SOOOOO frustrating trying to keep her GF.  What do other
parents do?  What can I feed her for breakfast (she is also allergic to
dairy and eggs)?  How do I feed her when we go out or out of town?  I feel
like she won't be safe if we step foot out of our GF house.  I know that is
unreasonable, but what can I do?  I also can't let her out of my sight,
because even though she understands how serious this is and cooperates,
sometimes when she is away from me at a party she will tell a grownup that
she has had something before (before she was diagnosed) and they think it's
okay for her to have it now!!!  How do other parents impress it upon well
meaning relatives, baby-sitters, and others how important it is to stick
with what I send along for her and give her nothing else?

I'm sorry to ramble so,  but I just needed to hear from other parents who
are more experienced than I am.  We are going back to basics again (lamb,
rice, veggies and fruit) for a few days like last time so I can better
monitor what she is eating and what she is reacting to.  Any suggestions
you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and G-d bless.

Warmly,

Bev Wahl