Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 1997 15:28:19 -0700

Dear Celiac Friends,
One of the people on the List has asked me to write to the List with a
little more information about the conference.

Write directly to CSA for a brochure: CSA/USA Conference, P. O. Box
31700, Omaha, NE 68131-0700. Or call 402/558-0600.

        Dr. Kagnoff of CA will be the keynote speaker about a CD
review and what's new in research.  (He does celiac reseach into genetics
 -- very well known in the field of gastroenterology.) Also a Dr.
Driscoll will have an overview on the management and follow-up of CD.
There will be a session about diabetes and how it is highly preventable
for most celiacs. Other topics include coping with a chronic illness, GF
diet review, review of "Medical Foods by Prescription for Celiacs", etc.
There are sessions geared specially to the newly-diagnosed, families with
celiac children, DH, and "old-timers."  I'm sure you fit into one of
these categories.  I have been going to conferences for 10 years and
always learn something new, although I learned the most in the first 4
conferences.  I had a lady ask me today about a roommate at the
conference.  Maybe we can hook you up together?

        You do need a registration brochure from CSA, which describes all
the sessions and tells the prices for the conference, tours (on Thurs.)
and extra dinner. The deadline for the lower price of $180 is Sept. 30.

        There are several sight seeing tours scheduled for Thursday.
The cookbook guru Bette Hagman called me today and asked me to spread the
word that the Sat. evening special cruise/dinner to Tillicum Village
Island is well worth the extra price.  Bette lives in the Seattle area
and suggested this event to CSA.  The first session begins at at 8:55
Friday morning. The last session ends about 11 a.m. on Sunday morning.
The conference is at The Seattle Marriott, Sea-Tac Hotel (800/643-5479 or
206/241-2000 directly). There is a free shuttle to the hotel from the
airport nearby.

        I have been attending CSA conferences since 1989. Of course, I
learned the most at the first three conferences, but I still learn new
things at every conference.  Sometimes it is about the mechanics of the
disease, genetics, related autoimmune diseases, or tips about GF cooking.
Bette Hagman will be giving a special session, and that I am sure will be
worthwhile!  I have many celiac friends all over the country now,
particularly due to the opportunity to meet people at conferences. We
will all be learning and having fun together.

        I hope this gives you a little more info.  Do call CSA soon for a
brochure. Thanks.  Janet Rinehart in Houston