From:
Patricia Singletary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 1997 20:33:05 -0400

  I want to thank everyone who took the time to resopnd to my initial
posting. This group is made up of the greatest people. I received some great
information.

Patricia Singletary
Fayetteville,NC

*My diagnosis began with severe cramping in legs, feet, and finally back and
chest, and general stiffness.  My GP sent me to an endocrinologist after
determining that even though I was taking calcium because I am post-
menopausal, that I was not absorbing enough Vitamin D to turn the calcium
into bone.  The level of calcium in my blood was just about half of what it
should be and basically my bones were "going soft"...official name:
osteomalacia.  From there, they referred me to GI for diagnosis...they knew
the "what" they then needed to know the "why".  That's when they found the
celiac disease.  I had no gastrointestinal symptoms whatsoever.  The
endocrinologist prescribed massive amounts of Vitamin D until the pain and
cramping went away.  Now I just take normal RDA of vitamins/minerals and
extra calcium (through Tums).

*You may have Restless Leg Syndrome and Period Limb Movement Disorder.  I
have this.  I have read that a gluten free diet can help.  There is a
wonderful website on RLS/PLMD at:  <http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages
/somno/rls.htm#RLS treatment> I will describe this to you.  RLS is tingling
in the hands and feet.  Sometimes it is severe pain in the legs which seems
to only be relieved by walking, stretching, warm compresses, etcetera.  Oh,
give some calcium supplements a try and also, make sure you're well hydrated
before bed.

*Well, I was moved by your story.  I had 6 surguries in on year so I figured
we have much in common.  Dehydration can cause cramps.  Hatha Yoga can help
your muscles stretch out and make them pliable.  But for immediate action:
pinch your upper lip just beneath the nose.  That generally works.  Its
amazing.

*Yes, I get leg and hand cramps frequently, especially if I have been
exercising or doing physical work. Potassium seems to help, but it
doesn't entirely solve the problem. I'm 52 years old and have had this
problem off and on all my life. It seems to be getting worse with age. I
believe it is from CD.

*I believe because of removal of part of your intestinal tract you have
trouble absorbing all the right minerals.  You forgot potassium.  This is
important for your muscles.  I have had leg cramps alot at times.  I eat
bananas.  All the surgeries you have had makes it hard for your body to
digest things so you must take extra everthing to make up for it I suppose.
Hope this sheds so light on your problem.  God bless and keep thinking
positive.

*A good nutrician oriented physician would be able to help as long as you
impress the specific intolerances. In NYC Dr Atkins at the Atkins center
might be a possible choice. What state do you live in?

*Wow, you should get a survival award! When I was having trouble
with cramping, I found relief in potassium. I thought I needed
calcium, but was advised on the potassium and it really helped me.

*If you get any good answers in response to your querie about cramps, please
post them to the list, or at least to me, as I have the same problem.  I
have not been shot thru the abdomen and have no other health problems
except osteoporosis as a result of malabsorbtion from celiac disease.  All
the books I read say to take calcium, but I do, in great quantities.  Even
long after the cramp is gone, the muscles are so painful it is hard to
walk.  I hope we learn something helpful.

*i mailed you yesterday and told you of potassium and leg cramps.
i decided to give my daughter a half of a banana last night and it was the
first great night sleep we have gotten.
hope this helps you.

* Even though you take vitamins, with the various problems you have
your body may not beabsorbing the nutrients-especially with celiac.

*I also have severe cramping at night in my legs & get cramping in my hands
after alot of repetitive movements. I am seeing a gastro on 7-2-97 for a
complete blood workup as  I have attributed these pains to vitamin or mineral
imbalance????

*I think this is not uncommon,and often related to malabsorbation of calcium.
I have no idea of your health , or why you are on this list, but you have
lost or parts of several systems that handle dietary fats.

*There is a possibility that extra calcium might help the cramping.
Check with your Doctor to see if your calcium is low. I had that
problem and now that I'm absolutely getting 1500 to 2000mgs of calcium every
day,I'm not having the problem.

*Sometimes cramping is due to insufficent potassium. Might try bananas and
potatoes!

*Because we can't eat cereal grains, the main source of all the B vitamins,
I would recommend a good B multi vitamin, especially B6.

*I seem to have the same problems. cramps in the calfs so bad that they wake
me up out of a hard sleep.Don't know what trigers them. I also have my
hands(fingers) lock around something when I pick it up Neither of these
problems seem to happen since I went gluten free.

*Have you had your Magnesium levels checked recently?Sometimes that can be a
cause. Good Luck

*Any of the several problems you list lead to malabsorption- low potassium,
magnesium, chromium to name a few I am familiar with. Try them all (one at a
time,to begin with). If they help you will know it within a few hours. If
that doesn't, work try 2-3 bottles of quinine water-

*Yes I have leg cramps, toe cramps and hand cramps- not to the extent that
you do, however. My physician said  that I should take 1500ml.of calcium
daily, so I took it 3 times a day @ 500 per shot. Seems to help. Now I take
only 500ml daily, but feel I need to a least double that. Perhaps you still
have an absorption problem.

*I only have CS and I also get cramps in my feet.

*A friend of mine has been suffering with bad leg cramps for over a year.
They just diagnosed her problem. She has a heart condition to help her with
that.But- the med.s conflict with other medication she takes and that- plus
some back problems which occured as a result of slouching due to pains in her
chest from her heart- have been causing her legs to ache.

*Have you told your doctor about this? I get muscle cramps when I haven't
had enough potassium or calcium.