From:
Lisa McAdams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 1997 19:57:23 -0400

My sister has a history very similar to the ones I have seen posted over
the last month.  Here's her profile:  She is 26 years old, diagnosed
with anemia three years ago, and had a very bad "episode" (diarrhea,
etc.) for which she was hospitalized for in November 1996.   During her
hospitalization she was thought to be anorexic (she is not), among other
things and finally through a biopsy she was diagnosed as a celiac.  The
good news is that since she has been GF, she has improved dramatically
and feels better than ever, although, as you know it has not be easy to
stay on the diet.  The bad news is that prior to her diagnosis, she
never had a weight problem  (5 feet 2 inches and a size 6), but now with
the diet, she has put on almost 25 lbs.!  She knows this means she is
finally absorbing the nutrients/calories, but she is very depressed that
none of her clothes fit and she can't lose the weight with exercise.

I have a couple of questions:

1)  Have other people experienced this type of weight gain after going
GF?  Did your metabolism adjust after a certain period of time on the
diet?
2)  Any helpful hints about exercise or diet I could pass on to her?
Can anyone recommend a specific diet plan to follow in order to lose the
additional weight?
3)  Can any recommend any celiac-aware doctors or nutritionists in the
Boston MA area?

Please respond to me directly were appropriate, and I'll summarize any
"words of wisdom" for the group.

Thanks,

Lisa
Boston, MA