From:
MRS CINDY L AHERN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 1997 23:16:04 -0500

First, thanks to all who responded to my question regarding whether
or not malabsorption problems early in life could cause lifelong
learning problems.  I will summarize the responses.

1.  Celiac son (61/2) diagnosed at 31/2 is just starting first grade.
 He is language-delayed and hyperactive.

2.  Two year old son has a language disorder (like autism but not as
severe).  He was put on a GF diet which also eliminated all casein
(milk protein).  Her reading suggests that if a person's sensitivity
to gluten is affecting brain function, that they may also be
sensitive to casein which is similar in molecular structure to gluten.
  They have seen tremendous results due to this diet.

3. 40 yr. old has problems with reading, spelling, math.

4.  Mother of 7 yr. old has used cod liver oil on daughter since age
51/2.  She was in remedial in first grade but was moved out by the
end of December. At first she rubbed the oils on her but now uses the
gelatin capsules. Her comments were:  if not enough of the right
kinds of fats are available during growth, there's going to be some
consequences.  Quoting from a report from Purdue University
researchers:  Evidence is accumulating that a deficiency of omega-3
fatty acids may be tied to behavior problems, learning and health
problems  Omega-3 fatty acids are found in fish and other seafood.
There are also small amounts of omega-3's in some polyunsaturated
oils.

If anyone would like more of this report I will be happy to send it
if you contact me.  It dealt mainly with research on ADHD boys.

5.  One of the problems of CD is insufficient levels of the B
vitamins.  This condition can cause many different neurological
problems, and in my daughter's case caused a visual motor
coordination deficit (fine motor skills are moderately impaired).
She also has noticeable trembling of her hands when attempting to do
tasks which call on her fine motor skills. The most serious problem
has been her inability to carry through on projects and homework.
An additional problem which developed for both her children was
difficulty speaking clearly.  She has not seen any improvement in the
motor skills since going on the GF diet last winter.

6.  A school teacher/grad student investigating the possibility of a
link between gluten and attention deficits and learning disabilities
is currently preparing a paper on this subject.  He has problems with
auditory delay and short term memory.  He suggests having blood
checked for other problems common to celiac:  thyroid dysfunction,
hypoglycemia, diabetes, vitamin B12 deficiency, vitamin B6 deficiency,
folic acid deficiency, milk protein intolerance, food allergies,
gluten-induced epilepsy.  Also check carefully for hidden sources of
gluten.  If you would like a copy of his paper on this subject let me
know and he will pass it on when completed.

   Thanks!   [log in to unmask]