From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 1997 10:46:48 -0400

Earlier in the week there was a letter from Leslie questioning the wisdom
of gluten challenge for herself when she becomes so violenetly ill when she
accidentally ingests gluten.  I have the same question, tho in my case the
violent reaction is more mental than physical - tho I do vomit, have
diarrhea, etc.

I have adamantly refused biopsy again and again.  The hard thing about it
is that the doctors are annoyed when a patient refuses to "cooperate."
Never mind that the doctors are refusing to cooperate with us.... Who's
paying, anyhow -and who's sick???

Would a doctor knowingly eat something that might make him/her suicidal?
Or would a doctor knowingly eat something that might threaten a job loss
because of irratic behavior?  With symptoms very related to schizophrenia
in some patients, (and that includes me) isn't it more than a little
dangerous to do a gluten challenge for those persons?  If that IS the case,
what are the alternative ways to determine whether or not one is indeed
celiac, and is it important to know that, if one knows that gluten
containing foods cause the mental symptoms?

Is it possible that a gluten induced change would become irreversible?
What if brain damage is the long term result?  Do the medical professionals
really know the answers to these questions?

Gayle K