From:
Susan Krauss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 1997 09:52:15 -0700

According to the information given to me when my allergies were diagnosed,
there is gluten in barley and malt and on my list of foods to avoid is
anything with *CARAMEL COLORING* so La Choy Soy Sauce is out.   Another
term to look for on labels is maltodextrins.

The special note about CARAMEL says:  "it is considered natural and does
not require certification, but must be labeled "artificially colored or
flavored."  It  is made from malted barley and is used in most baked goods
and deli meats"

So I'm avoiding anything with caramel or that has "articifical" on the label.

Hope this helps.

At 09:11 PM 4/12/97 -0400, you wrote:

>My son is on a GF diet due to his wheat allergy, I tried La choy lite.
>Within a few minutes his face broke out in hives.  It appeared to be wheat
>free.  I think I'll stay away from soy sauce.
>
>Barbara
>
> Does anyone have different information? La Choy is easy to obtain and
> is tastey.
>
> Sharon Marcus

Susan Krauss
KRAUSS RESEARCH | 6114 La Salle Ave., Ste. 413 Oakland CA 94611-2802
Phone:  510-482-8760 | Fax:  510-482-3593
[log in to unmask]      http://www.hooked.net/~skrauss