From:
Jan Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 1997 14:22:25 -0400

Scott,

This is my third letter on the same subject. I discovered my keyboard is
having problems. I will try this again since I feel it is very important.

You reported that you called Taco Bell's 800 number and "asked about their
'corn' shell taco, tostadas, etc." You stated that you were told that "they
contain wheat".

When I called Taco Bell's 800 number (1-800-TACO BELL) and talked to a very
helpful and informative person, she read me the list of ingredients in the
taco and tortilla shells, the refried beans, the cheese, the taco sauce used
separately on some products, and the meat seasoning. The ONLY ITEM CONTAINING
OATS was the meat seasoning. The taco sauce contained VINEGAR and she could
not tell me if it was grain distilled or not. The tortilla and taco shells
contain corn flour, water, oil, and a preservative called TBHQ. The refried
beans contain pinto beans, corn oil, TBHQ, salt, artificial color, and red
dye #40. The cheese contains pastuerized milk, salt, enzymes, and anatto
(sp?) color.

I have asked to have someone contact me regarding the TBHQ since the woman I
spoke to could give me no further information on that product.

It seems there is very conflicting information. My feeling is that we should
not go by what someone else reports on Taco Bell, but call the 800 number
ourselves. If enough people call, then report their findings to the list,
maybe this can be straightened out.

I had contacted Taco Bell locally several years ago and have been taking my 2
Celiac daughters there often. They have been ordering the tostada and the
pintos & cheese, both without sauce. They have not had any symptoms after
eating there. After talking to the company once again, I still feel
comfortable taking them there to eat. However, since there is conflicting
information, I think everyone should be aware of this fact. That is why I am
posting this letter to you and also to the list.

Thanks for your information. I hope this gets straightened out.

CheekyR