From:
Sherri Christianson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 1997 12:10:59 -0400

I had received so many request for this recipe that I decided to post it to
the list.  The crust is my adaptation of Bette Hagman's pie crust and works
well for many types of pies.  Enjoy!

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie:
1 1/4 c. sugar
3 c. rhubarb cut into 1 inch chunks (fresh or frozen)
2 c. sliced fresh strawberries (I often use frozen sliced
strawberries--2c.--if they are presweetened then decrease the sugar to 3/4 c.)
1/4 t. ground nutmeg
3 T. quick cooking tapioca (4 T if you are using frozen fruit--it often has
   more liquid)

Mix fruit with sugar, nutmeg, and tapioca. Let stand for 15min.

(note:  I usually freeze lots of strawberries and rhubarb--just wash and
slice the rhubarb before freezing, if there is an excess of liquid upon
thawing pour it out or drink it!  A strawberry rhubarb pie is a welcome
sight on a cold winter day!)

GF Pie Crust:
1 1/2 c. rice flour
1/2 c. potato starch flour
1/4 c. tapioca flour
1 tsp. salt
1 T. sugar
1 tsp. xanthan gum
2/3 c. shortening (Crisco butter flavored or regular)
1 egg white
1 T. apple cider vinegar
3 to 5 T. cold water

Mix the flours, sugar and salt in a large bowl.  Use a pastry blender to
cut in the shortening.  Make a well in the center and add the liquid
ingrediants.  I usually start with 3 T of cold water and then add more if
necessary--depending on your flour.  Mix together.  It should cling
together without being too sticky--I find mixing/ kneading with my hands
works well.  Separate into 2 balls.  Roll out one at a time between 2
sheets of plastic wrap--this works really well--it will crumble otherwise
when you try to pick it up.  I then slide the whole thing onto a pizza pan.
Remove the top sheet of plastic wrap and place your pie plate (9") upside
down over the crust, then use the pizza pan to flip the whole thing right
side up--gently ease the crust into the pie plate and peel off the second
sheet of plastic wrap.  Trim off any excess and repair any cracks or holes.
Pour in the rhubarb strawberry mixture.  Roll out the top crust.  Dab
water around the edge of the bottom crust and then use the pizza pan and
plastic wrap to help you position the top crust.  Seal the edge by crimping
together with your fingers.  Cut vent slits in the top.  Bake at 425 F for
15 min. and then decrease the temperature to 350 F for 45 min.  I usually
place a pizza pan on the bottom rack of my oven to catch any drippings if
the pie boils over as it cooks. (even non-GF pies do this sometimes)  Allow
to cool completely before cutting (this allows the tapioca to gel the
juices in the pie.  If possible store at room temperature loosely covered.
This keeps the crust crispier longer (although you may find that this pie
is devoured too quickly to worry about storage!)

Happy eating!!
-Sherri