Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 1997 09:24:38 -0400
From:
Anne Washburn <[log in to unmask]>

I received a response from Grainaissance, the manufacturer of Amazake
milks, among other things. I reproduce below the text of the letter:

"I'm writing to you about your question regarding whether our products are
gluten-free. Our Mochi is definitely gluten-free. All of the Mochi flavors
are free of grains other than rice and have no added flavorings.

As for Amazake, it may be gluten-free but we haven't been able to
determine that conclusively. We use an ingredient called koji which is a
cultured rice that comes from Japan. Our source for it, Miyako Oriental
Foods in Brea, California, has not been able to tell us whether there are
any other grains used in the processing besides rice.

The following Amazake flavors are made with alcohol-free natural
flavorings: Original, Almond Shake, Hazelnut, Sesame and Apricot. The
other flavors contain natural flavorings with alcohol.

I hope this information is useful to you,
Anna Beltran
Grainaissance, Inc."

Anne Washburn
Co-owner, APH - Association of Personal Historians List