From:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 1997 13:36:34 -0700
At 10:06 PM 6/22/97 -0400, you wrote:
>On Sun, 22 Jun 1997, Grant Magnuson wrote:
>
>> Do you know of any studies that might support the statement: "could that
>> mean that obesity is also an immune system disorder"?  (i.e. supporting
>> that obesity as an immune system disorder?)

Yes!
If you read up on celiac disease/gluten intolerance, you will find that with
this condition, gluten causes a reaction in the duodenum which causes the
destruction of the villi. (an autoimmune reaction) The result is mal to
non-absorption of nutrients. The body therefore thinks it is starving
because no vitamins and minerals have been utilized. So we keep eating and
eating.
Once the gluten containing grains are removed from the diet, weight becomes
manageable.

All the best,
Susan