From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jun 1997 23:13:53 -0400
On Sun, 22 Jun 1997, Toby Martin wrote:

> It reminds me a little of the argument used by vegetarians against
> drinking milk: "humans are the only species to consume the milk
> of another animal". Well, just because humans are the only species
> to do X doesn't make X a bad thing. They are the only species to
> wear eyeglasses, too. Now, there may well be a SPECIFIC physiological
> reason why drinking the milk of any other animal is in fact bad
> for you, but then THAT should be your argument, not "humans are the
> only ones to do it".

My view is that the fact that our ancestors didn't have much time
to adapt to a dietary practice gives us prima facie reason to be
suspicious of that practice, but not conclusive evidence that it
is bad for all, or even most, people.  In the case of milk, I
don't think one has to look very far to find the specific
evidence.

Todd Moody