NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Helen E Stephenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 1997 23:43:17 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Sarah Chase-
Kruszewski <[log in to unmask]> writes
[snip]
>Given that his symptoms are delayed and so minor - just diarrhea and
>possibly mild behavioural changes - we're wondering if this is just
>intolerance.  Does anyone know of a good book that I could read that
>describes intolerance as opposed to allergy?
>
>If anyone has any experience with intolerance that they would like to
>share, I would like to hear from you.

The complete guide to Food Allergy and Intolerance by Dr. Jonathan
Brostoff and Linda Gamlin published by Bloomsbury Publishing Limited,
2 Soho Square, London, W1V 5DE, UK. ISBN 0-7475-0566-7 first published
1989.

This book concentrates on Food Intolerance and I found it very helpful.

I avoid dairy products, eggs, pork/ham/bacon, malt extract and coconut.

When I reached my thirties, it seemed that my body could no longer
tolerate these items. The dairy products give me diarrhoea and make my
skin feel as if it's going to burst. The other items seem to bind me up.
A week of eating a bacon burger each day put me in hospital with
suspected appendicitis, from which you will realise that my gut was
pretty sore. I believe that coconut brings me out in a rash, although
this hasn't been conclusively verified.

I have been avoiding these items for over five years now, and feel
immeasurably healthier for doing so.
--
Helen E Stephenson      <[log in to unmask]>
                        http://www.baronmoss.demon.co.uk/