VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 1997 14:06:59 +0500
Hello from Pittsburgh,
I thought people on the list might be interested in this information I
got from g.b.x.  Jim Vaglia

Date: Thursday, March 6, 1997  11:03pm                           Forum: Hello
From: Dan Kysor                                                  Msg#: 377103
  To: ** ALL **
  Re: GBX News Release

News Release from the Global Blind Exchange GBX
The GBX internet BBS plans on some upgrades in the next
two weeks.
First, we are upgrading our sintrex modem service from
our current 14.4 K speed to 36.6 K allowing an
inexpensive connection to GBX virtually anywhere. This
service will begin in about one week.
 Next, we have upgraded our information server to
accommodate e-mail file requests.  We will begin this
request service by only offering limited popular files
such as monthly/quarterly magazines, GBX help files and
NLS publications.
Persons using our info server must realize that these
will be mime attachments so you must be able to handle
this format or else your e-mail boxes will be filled
with many messages!
if you wish to receive information on these following
subjects, send email to:
on the subject line, put one of the topics listed below:
example
to: [log in to unmask]
subject: membership
message body:  leave the message body blank
message topics:
info: a complete list of the topics available from the
gbx info server
gbx_info:  all about the global blind exchange including
outcoded gbx.txt
manual
gbx: includes information on the global blind exchange
without the outcoded gbx.txt manual
access: how to access gbx as well as upload and
download successfully on gbx
membership: becoming a part of gbx and the various
ways to subscribe to our service
GBX offers its own listserv known as GBX-L.
note the gbx dash l for those who have punctuation and
symbols turned off on your speech.  This is just an
informal extension of hello, our main public
message forum.  if you wish to
subscribe to this list, send e-mail
from your provider to: [log in to unmask]
in the topic line, type the word subscribe
ignore the body or put anything and that's all there is
to it.  we will be
posting announcements and folks may use this list for
technical
support.
Braille Forum:  To receive a monthly issue of the
braille forum, the A.C.B.'s newsletter,
send e-mail to [log in to unmask] and on the subject line put
the word bf and you
will receive a mime attachment of the forum.
Blind Californian:  The California Council of the
Blind's quarterly
newsletter may be requested by putting the word bc on
the subject line.
CCB Convention:  All ccb convention
announcements/registration forms may be requested by
simply putting the word convention on the subject line.
Please refer to this information server from
time-to-time as we will be adding more to this service.
Finally, we would like to announce our GBX online home
page generator.  Now, you can get online to GBX and
create your own home page simply by typing what you want
on your page without knowing any web language!  We will
be beginning this service in a couple of weeks and will
charge $200 per annum to individuals desiring this
service.  Funds will be used for upgrading our GBX
internet connection.