VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dane Trethowan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 03:53:34 +1000
Greetings!

How true!  I can see the usefulness of what JAWS does in DOS, very good for
those times when you need to install something from DOS.

I know that people find it hard to accept but DOS is pretty much dead now
so we (and the next generation) will have to make the best of the new world.

At 06:26 8/04/98 -0700, you wrote:
>JFW was never intended to be a full-fledged DOS screen reader. It was to
>simply allow someone who does not have a DOS screen reader the ability to
>do a few thing is a DOS box. That is all! There is a generation of
>people coming who will hardly ever do anything in DOS, so why
>should they have to have another screen reader. If you have a DOS screen
>reader, us it and don't rely on JFW to do DOS work. I heard this
>explanation from the mouth of Ted Henter.
>
>dotmakr
>

>On Wed, 8 Apr 1998, Steve Zielinski wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the info on the triangle program.  I'll get a copy of it
>> immediately and check it out!  It sounds very interesting.
>>
>> On another note, it seems very odd and strange to me that JFW would
>> provide what is essentially less access to DOS applications through their
>> windows program than sighted users currently have.  Perhaps JFW is
>> jumping the gun, making DOS access more obsolette than even Micro Soft
>> would have it, at least until they release windows 98.  It seems to me
>> that the best computer access for any blind computer user would consist
>> of as much access to all products as possible, not prematurely making it
>> more difficult to access what has traditionally been a perfectly good
>> operating system for blind people in the pass.  Did JFW put the cart
>> before the horse then kill off the orse?

>> |  Steve Zielinski  (N8UJS)  |

Dane Trethowan
MALVERN VI  Australia
Voice (61 3) 9509 1690