From:
Tammy Glaser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 13:37:51 -0400
><< In the case of cereal grains there is an alarming amount of data
> suggesting that the proteins peculiar to cereal grains are a major
> contributor to a host of diseases, and . . . There is other evidence that
>the proteins
> peculiar to dairy products are a health hazard >>
>
>Please, what diseases aside from allergic reaction to gluten and lactose?
> Audette's book lept from "alien proteins" to "immune system disorders"
>without connecting the dots.
>Apologize if this has already been covered.

Kathryn, there is a body of research documenting the production of opiode
peptides from gluten and another milk protein called casein in schizophrenia
and autism.  For some reason, these two proteins are not completely broken
down into amino acids and peptides containing opiode sequences are left.  If
the affected person has a leaky gut, it's very possible that these opiode
peptides are released into the bloodstream, which of course feeds the brain.
While I do not know if there is any proof showing whether or not these
peptides can cross the blood brain barrier, I do know from observing my
daughter that they do affect her behavior.  That leads me to think that they
do cross over.

This is not an allergic reaction and I bet if they ever figure out why they
will find some enzyme deficiency (like PKU, associated with some cases of
autism) or low levels of a key nutrient that causes this to happen.

Tammy G.

"A parent's love perceives no limitations."