From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jun 1997 21:59:10 -0400
On Sun, 22 Jun 1997, Xenu's Sister wrote:

> (However, I must admit that I still don't quite
> understand why olive oil is allowed while
> Sesame oil and vegetable oils are not. Anyone?)

At the level of NeanderThin philosophy, there would have been
nothing to prevent hunter/gatherers from eating substantial
amounts of olives, and with them olive oil.  No technology
required.  Prior to the invention of industrial methods of
extracting oils from seeds, humans were simply not in a position
to eat them in large quantities.  And when nuts are consumed raw,
their oils are accompanied by natural antioxidants.

At the level of biochemistry, olive oil contains mostly
monounsaturated fats, while the other oils contain lots of
polyunsaturated fats.  Polyunsaturates are readily oxidized and
can thus cause free radical damage in cells, a result of the
oxidation process.  For example, atherosclerosis is believed to
be caused by the accumulation of oxidized low-density
lipoprotein, and this oxidation is expedited by dietary
polyunsaturates.  Olive oil does not oxidize easily, which is why
it keeps so well.

Todd Moody