From:
Karl Mac Mc Kinnon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 1997 13:27:42 -0500
On Sat, 21 Jun 1997, STONE and SPEAR wrote:

> The "key" appears to be ensuring all essential nutrients are present then
> calorie restriction will increase your lifespan.

> This appears to put a lid on diets such as Atkins and NeanderThin that do
> not restrict calories.

        What lid?  Look, I believed for the better (worse, actually) part
of two years that I was an Immortal Vampire destined to rule the earth
from beyond the grave.  We all die, but how many of us really live?
Instead of being in the constant pain of semi-starvation, or even the
semi-regular pain of morbid obisity, I want to be happy.  Epicurus taught
a philosophy of avioding pain as the path to pleasure.  He said that were
death is, we are not, and were is death is not, we are.

> In the case of us trying to make a Paleolithic Diet work in our Modern
> World, to me the missing element of famine in the cycles of feast and
> famine is clearly missing.  The herds would move on, the seasons change but
> to us, the produce & meat market sections are always full of selections
> everyday of every month.

        Paleolithic people were well fead.  As nomads, they moved with the
herds.

> Does this mean a modern Paleo-Person should self impose something akin to
> famine, have a 4 oz  instead of a 12 oz steak etc.?

        I have no idea what the ripe season is for Savana fruit, but I
would say cut down of the fruits if you want to simulate low-cal
paleolithic conditions.

        There is no way in HELL that you're going to convince me that a.)
I want to live longer by eating less food, and b.) paleolithic people
starved often.  Starvation occurs when food supply is too low for the
whole population to eat.  Overpopuation is not a problem with
hunter-gatherers.  And in areas where agricultural and hunter-gatherer
people co-exist, it is without a doubt the farmers who expereince the
worse famine.

Karl Alexis McKinnon     | And as your fantasies are broken in two
P.O. Box 193             | Did you really think this bloody road would
South Milwaukee, WI 53154| Pave the way for you?     - Jeff Buckley