From:
STONE and SPEAR <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 1997 07:16:30 -0700
Weindruch R. whose study was released last weekend (July issue of FASEB
Journal) claims that caloric restriction is the ONLY method proven to
increase maximum lifespan.

The study done on super-low-calorie fed rats showed that their muscle
fibres accumulated far fewer genetic and biochemical errors in their
mitochondria.

Mitochondrial genes are especially prone to being damaged by oxygen
radicals because the radicals are produced right there.  The more damage,
the less efficient thus spewing out more radicals during metabolism.
Eventually the damaged mitochondria burn themselves out and the cell dies,
but reduction in caloric intake results in a delaying action.

The "key" appears to be ensuring all essential nutrients are present then
calorie restriction will increase your lifespan.

This appears to put a lid on diets such as Atkins and NeanderThin that do
not restrict calories.

If you are hungry, then eat -- is touted in both Atkins and NeanderThin
books but it appears that attitude will shorten our lives.

In the case of us trying to make a Paleolithic Diet work in our Modern
World, to me the missing element of famine in the cycles of feast and
famine is clearly missing.  The herds would move on, the seasons change but
to us, the produce & meat market sections are always full of selections
everyday of every month.

Does this mean a modern Paleo-Person should self impose something akin to
famine, have a 4 oz  instead of a 12 oz steak etc.?

Wouldn't this also mean that a modern Paleo-Person may very well have to
consider supplements, because you can't get nutrients without calories?

A lifetime of misery to buy a few more days of breath?

It was noted that monkeys kept on restricted diets are clearly ravenous
much of the time and often go into a frenzy at feeding time.

I'm "frenzy" enough, so I'm going to go have breakfast with an extra egg
because I kind of like the feeling of well being that comes with eating
natural food in the amount the satisfies.

Grant          [log in to unmask]
LC-DIABETES--> All carbohydrate counting diets for Diabetes control
Support Information at: http://www.mountain-inter.net/~magnuson/