From:
Pam Clausen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 1997 12:11:50 +0900
> Can you tell me just
> >what are the foods that would provide their (serotonin and norepinephrine)
> >amino acid precursors?
>
>         Tryptophan is the precursor of serotonin.  It is found in milk, and
> turkey.  It is not sold in the US anymore because a contaminated batch came
> here from Japan in '93.  Tyrosine and phenylalanine are turned into
> norepinephrine.  Foods? Meat and cheese are high in tyrosine.
> Phenylalanine like compounds are in choc. for one.

Thanks for the info. on this!  I surfed the USDA Nutrient Values site to
see which foods were high in tryptophan. Nuts are very high--especially
almonds! You have to enter each food that you want to search, then
determine if you want 1 oz. or 1 cup of the item. It's a little time
consuming, but most of the info. is there. Here's the address:

http://www.rahul.net/cig-bin/fatfree/usda/usda.cgi

I have lost the address of another (better) site for locating nutrient
values. If you know of another address, please share!

Have a great day!
Pam