From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 1997 18:22:41 -0400
On Mon, 2 Jun 1997, Andrew S. Bonci, BA, DC, DAAPM wrote:

> This serotonin thing is cool.  Did you know that migraine sufferers can
> abort an episode by forcing themselves to vomit?

No I didn't, but the person responsible for the PST research
mentioned above is Rosemary Waring at Birmingham University in
the UK.  Her original research project documented low PST levels
among migraine sufferers!  Her interest in autism came later, as
she learned that autism and migraines tend to travel in the same
family circles, so to speak.

Very recently, the discovery of an "autism gene" has been
heralded.  This gene is responsible for production of an enzyme
that breaks down serotonin, so that may be a partial explanation
for the high serotonin levels seen in autistic people.

> I did a paperchase search last night and obtained 33 citations on PST.
> Am loking over them closely.  Did find a reference to modulation to PST
> by quercetin the bioflavanoid from the rutin family.  Quercetin
> downregulates PST.  Will keep you abreast.

Thank you.  Isn't quercetin the suspected good guy that accounts
for the benefits of red wine consumption and the French Paradox?

I am becoming self-conscious that our dialogue may be straying
too far from the subject matter of this list.  I am intrigued by
the possibility that autism could be one of the "diseases of
civilization" that could be improved by paleodiet, but I have no
direct evidence that this is the case, beyond the fact that many
autistics benefit by the removal of gluten and dairy from their
diets.

Todd Moody